Looking to join a growing company that offers excellent benefits, along with great opportunities to learn and grow? St. Germain’s Cabinet, Inc. – Supreme Counters is currently seeking a Commercial Estimator for our Duluth location (On site) and the Twin Cities (Remote).
Under general supervision, the Commercial Estimator is primarily responsible for working alongside several project managers and taking bid requests and applying appropriate material and labor amounts to each job. The Commercial Estimator is also responsible for researching all facets of potential projects and is expected to have exceptional attention to detail and sound knowledge of the cabinetmaking field. The Commercial Estimator reports directly to the President/General Manager.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBLITIES (duties include but are not limited to)
- Obtains bids from subcontractors
- Reviews architectural drawings to verify project specifications and material and labor requirements; and prepares itemized material lists
- Performs calculations for materials; estimates costs for each project; prepares bid proposals to send to contractors with clear costs for each piece/phase of the project
- Negotiates costs from reliable vendors to provide project managers the best possible profit margins
- Must know how to read blueprints and do material take-offs of construction documents to reach final estimated costs
- Collaborates with clients, vendors, other trades, and jobsite to discuss and formulate estimates, resolve issues; to gain the best knowledge of the project being bid
- Communicates frequently with project team members including architects, engineers, and project managers; and assists team during all project phases
- Generates RFI’s and submits to architect, building owner or appropriate representative
- Executes transition of awarded project to Project Managers
- Works with Department Manager to investigate and make recommendations to review and identify opportunities to create efficiencies, cost savings and customer value enhancements
- Analyzes completed projects to compare estimated costs to actual costs and determines the reason for any discrepancies
- Provides improvement recommendations, to cost-estimating procedures, to reduce future discrepancies between estimated and actual costs
- Conforms with and abides to all regulations, policies, work procedures, and instructions.
- Follows all safety and OSHA standards and ensures a safe working environment
- Attends departmental meetings as required
- Performs other duties as assigned or required
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in project estimating (commercial) or similar field
- Firm knowledge and experience reading architectural drawings
- Production, shop floor, cabinet or architectural millwork, custom casework, experience (highly preferred)
- Firm understanding of architectural millwork terminology and products
- Knowledge of frameless and face frame cabinet construction
- Experience with computer take-off software (preferred)
- High attention to detail, strong analytical skills, and the ability to articulate and solve problems
- Advanced experience in MS Office and general computer skills with emphasis on Excel
- Proficient using AutoCAD is a plus
- Excellent organization and time-management skills; ability to manage multiple projects at one time, meeting and exceeding established deadlines
- Must have a professional presence and ability to communicate with existing and potential clients
The items below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and abilities required or preferred.
- Ability to pass a pre-employment drug test and background check and have a clean driving record
- Able to work independently
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize and work in an extremely fast-paced environment
- Ability to understand how to accurately read architectural and construction drawings and documents
- Ability to analyze blueprints, specifications, proposals, and other documentation
- Advanced data analysis skills
- Strong aptitude for construction cost estimation
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/SAFETY REQUIREMENTS/WORKING CONDITIONS
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear.
- is frequently required to stand and walk. The employee must regularly lift or move up to 10 pounds and frequently lift or move up to 25 pounds
Minimal travel is expected for this position.
St. Germain’s Cabinet, Inc. – Supreme Counters provides equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of their race, color, creed, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state, federal, or local law. Further, the company takes affirmative action to ensure that applicants are employed, and employees are treated during employment without regard to any of these characteristics. Discrimination of any type will not be tolerated.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.