Are you an HR professional that is looking for a great company to work for? Do you have experience in the manufacturing world or think you would enjoy that type of environment? SGC is currently looking to hire an HR/Safety Manager.
The Human Resource/Safety Manager is responsible for the company’s human resource functions including benefits, employee relations, record-keeping, training, workforce planning, recruitment, employment, and health and safety.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (duties include but are not limited to):
- Performs recruitment activities, writes and places advertisements, evaluates candidates for select positions, assists with interview process, conducts reference/background checks, recommends compensation package, extends job offers and maintains related records
- Manages new hire process, ensuring pre-employment physical and drug (DOT) screening is completed, conducts new employee orientations and ensures all necessary documents (I9, W-4, Direct deposit, etc.) are reviewed, signed and submitted to required agencies
- Develops and revises job descriptions and JSA’s for each position; conducts annual surveys; monitors the performance evaluation program
- Acts as a resource for staff to ensure their understanding of and compliance with benefits, HR polices, and regulations. Keeps management advised of potential problem areas and recommends/implements solutions as appropriate
- Actively listens to employees’ safety, employment, and personnel concerns and recommendations
- Participates in the investigation of employee grievances and complaints and advises management of appropriate resolution in accordance with established procedures
- Explains human resources forms, policies, procedures, laws, and standards to new and existing employees
- Conducts exit interviews, ensures all necessary forms are completed, company policy and procedures are followed, and all actions conform to legal guidelines prior to employment termination
- Develops, revises and maintains written safety, health, and employment programs, policies, procedures, manuals and handbooks as necessary
- Works with department managers to implement engineering controls to minimize safety and occupational health hazards; conducts safety audits
- Identifies company safety training needs, develops and coordinates safety training programs and ensures staff are adequately trained as required
- Reviews and monitors lost-time injuries/illnesses and worker’s compensation claims
- Records and reports all injuries to insurance and follows up as necessary
- Promotes safety and health awareness through internal company memoranda, video displays and specific training programs
- Serves as a member of the Health and Safety Committee.
- Administers benefit plans, including enrollments and terminations; processes required documents through insurance providers to ensure accurate record-keeping. Provides COBRA information to agent and employees as necessary
- Provides FMLA paperwork to employees and is responsible for monitoring all hours available and used according to FMLA DOL Guidelines
- Understands federal and state occupational safety and health regulations and monitors regulatory changes as they occur; ensures management is apprised of changes.
- Files and submits all necessary annual reports (i.e. EEO/AAP, ACA, OSHA, etc.)
- Follows all safety and OSHA standards and ensures a safe working environment
- Attends departmental meetings; maintains professional and technical knowledge in areas of responsibility by attending educational workshops, reviewing professional publications, researching topics, establishing personal networks, and participating in professional societies, as required
- Performs other duties as assigned or required
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree and five years of human resource or safety experience; or 7 years’ experience in the human resource or safety field
- Professional in Human Resources (PHR) or SHRM certification preferred
- Experience administering employee benefits
The items below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and abilities required or preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal skills – ability to actively listen to and respect others, build and develop relationships, show empathy and understanding, and be cognizant of nonverbal communication
- Ability to act with integrity, professionalism and confidentiality
- Excellent communication skills including written and verbal; ability to present ideas clearly and concisely
- Ability to prioritize and execute daily tasks with minimal supervision
- Ability to adapt to change in the work environment, manage competing demands and frequent changes
- Thorough knowledge of employment and safety related laws and regulations
- PC literate, including Microsoft Office products
- Ability to pass a pre-employment drug test, background check and have a clean driving record
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/SAFETY REQUIREMENTS/WORKING CONDITIONS
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee:
- Is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hand to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs, talk or hear. The employee must occasionally lift or move office products and supplies up to 20#.
- Must be physically able to conduct safety inspections
Minimal travel is expected for this position.
This is an Exempt position; Monday-Friday, 7:30am-4:30pm